Join my fashion & foodventures! Follow on Instagram @Giants18

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Horseback Riding + Eggs Benedict

Pumpkin Raisin Bread, Eggs, Sausage, Potatoes, Corned Beef Eggs Benedict, Burger on Dutch Crunch
Pumpkin Raisin Bread, Eggs-Sausage-Potatoes, Corned Beef Benedict, Burger on Dutch

     
     What did you do yesterday? I turned 25! This past weekend was full of ridiculously fun birthday shenanigans. I really wanted to get out of the city and do something different for my initiation into the Quarter Century Club. So, Saturday morning I took a bunch of my city friends up north to the country town of Olema, to do some good old fashioned horseback riding!



Me & my horse, Hank at Five Brooks Stables
Five Brooks Stables

Horses on the trail
That's me + Hank in the middle, with Becca + Danny to the left and Rayna + Snip on the right.

     As you can see, some of our horses - mainly Hank and Danny - kept stopping on the side of the road to nosh on grass. I wondered how strange and tempting it must be for them to be walking and essentially exercising on a trail that was lined on both sides by their food! It would be like us hiking on a path lined with sandwiches, sushi, and french toast. Strange. I didn't blame them for stopping so often.

Horses on the trail

Group Photo








Country Hunger


     By the end of our gorgeous and relaxing trail ride, we had worked up quite an appetite. We headed back to the city and got lunch at Judy's Cafe in the Marina.

Egg's Benedict Special - with Corned Beef, potatoes, fresh fruit and a pumpkin raisin muffin loaf
Egg's Benedict Special - with Corned Beef, potatoes, fresh fruit and a pumpkin raisin muffin loaf

     It was at this very lunch that I ate my first Eggs Benedict, and I can safely say that it will not be my last. For St. Patty's Day, they had a benedict special with Corned Beef. Being a proud Irish lass, I of course opted for this special (3 more in our party ordered the benedict as well)! The benedict consisted of an English muffin base, corned beef in the middle, and topped with two poached eggs. The eggs were great - not too runny, and topped with a delicious sauce. The corned beef was delicious and full of flavor, as was the generous side of seasoned potatoes. The fruit was fresh and welcomed in such a hearty meal, and the pumpkin raisin bread made for a great dessert - sweet but healthy. I loved that in each bite I was getting quality corned beef, eggs, and an English muffin. Very tasty and filling!

Potato Egg Cheese Special
Everything.

     Michelle ordered the Potato Special which had a little of everything in it - potatoes, mushrooms, onion, jack & cheddar cheese, etc. It was really good, but so hearty that eating about a quarter of your plate will fill you up.

Sunny side up eggs, potatoes, sausages
Sunny eggs, potatoes, sausages

     Chanda ordered the classic 2 eggs, 2 sausages, and potatoes. Perhaps the most impressive order of the day was Chester, with his burger: 

Salsa Burger on Dutch Crunch + Fruit
Salsa Burger on Dutch Crunch + Fruit

      Chester's burger came on dutch crunch bread (aka the best), and was topped with melted jack and cheddar cheese, salsa, and sour cream. Luckily there was a generous serving of fruit as well. YUM.


Overall Experience


     I have only good things to say about the food at Judy's Cafe. The portions are large and the quality is there.
     However, the service we experienced was lacking a bit. They are cash-only, yet pretty expensive. You would think if they are saving money on cc transaction fees they could charge a little less than they do. Moreover, we were given a 6-person table for our party of 7. We had to pull tables together and apart ourselves to make up for this. At the end of the meal, I asked for a couple of our plates to be wrapped up to-go. Our waiter stared at me blankly for a second before saying, "What? You mean boxes?" Sure. I mean boxes. Even then, only one box was brought to us, so a member of our party had to get up and track down more of these elusive boxes. It wasn't the worst, but it wasn't the best. I can only recommend it for the food based on my experience.
     Luckily I was in good company and we were all very hungry when we got to Judy's, so our goal of filling our stomachs with great food was met. 


As always, 
Thanks for reading & Happy eating!


Judy's Cafe on Urbanspoon                                      The Chicken Chick

Follow This Blog

24 comments:

  1. Nice and honest review, Love to ride horse someda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Swathi! I really recommend horseback riding if you get a chance. There's something soothing and almost meditative about it :)

      Delete
  2. What a fun and exciting experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting!!! I sooo want to go to San Fran! Can't wait to join your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY thanks Leanne! Come visit SF anytime, you'll love it here! :D

      Delete
  4. Love your site! Thanks for stopping by mine:) Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday! What a cool way to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU Ahu!! It was so fun & different :)

      Delete
  6. happy belated bday! gee, you're a quarter of a century yr old and hadn't had Eggs Benny yet? time to catch up and make up for lost time! lol!
    Looks like fun times you had! cute site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I know, it's super embarassing hahah. I will def be making up for lost time!! :D

      Delete
  7. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Chelsea, we are in shouting distance because I live in Fremont. Nice to make your acquaintance. Happy belated Birthday! It looks like you had fun on your day out but I challenge you to recreate that eggs benedict dish at home. English muffin, Canadian bacon, poached egg topped with a Hollandaise. I'm pretty sure your dish at home would be far superior to the restaurant version.

    By the way, funny you should note your anticipation of my upcoming dishes because I have one scheduled to post tomorrow morning. Be sure to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that challenge! I'll have to make it one day & let you know how it goes.

      Look forward to reading more of your posts!

      Delete
  9. Dear Chelsea,

    Belated birthday wishes.....hope u had a blasting birthday with your friends....

    Yours horse riding looks very thrilling.... I haven't had horse riding till now....

    Wow....mouthwatering food.....making me hungry now...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Belated Happy Birthday! Love the eggs benedict. Never tasted it before, not even seen it before. But it looks so hearty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I recommend trying it one day, it is very hearty! :)

      Delete
  11. The Eggs Benedict looks fantastic! Even without working up an appetite beforehand, I can say that I would still want it in a heartbeat! The Potato Special looks packed, and with all that potato, I’m not surprised that a quarter of a plate filled her up. I mean, I’d probably fill me up too, and then some. :)

    Violet Larson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Violet! Thanks for stopping by :) The benedict was soooo good! Hahah I don't blame you for wanting it. I can't wait to try it at another venue. The potato special really was a lot, we probably could have split it! :D

      Delete