Monday, December 16, 2013

Bubor Cha Cha


A few weekends back, I had a couple friends come to visit Boston. The first thing they wanted was pho, so we ventured to Chinatown. Yes, I know pho is a Vietnamese dish, but Yelp sent us to the Malaysian Bubor Cha Cha in Chinatown, and we dared not argue!

Restaurant Decor



Walking into Bubor is a treat. Every inch is decorated, including a blue, clouded sky on the ceiling and a bamboo hut roof. I always enjoy good presentation and decor, so this is an added bonus in my book. It really whisks you away to another place, which is what good cuisine should do, especially on a rainy night in the city (which it was).


I loved the white tablecloth and folded cloth napkins. These little touches really add up in the end. I also appreciated the detail in the dishes themselves. It was carved and painted to look almost like a leaf of some kind - giving a healthy, natural feel which is always appreciated during a meal.


Entrees


Wonton Soup

Though they didn't have pho, Bubor had the next best thing: Wonton Soup, complete with healthy green bok choy. This dish was pretty good, with generous wonton portions and a warm salty broth.

Wonton Soup with Beef

For the carnivore, the Wonton Soup with Beef was decent as well, and also came with a healthy serving of bok choy.

Fried Crispy Tofu

Though I ordered what I thought was just plain Fried Crispy Tofu, I was brought shrimp-stuffed fried tofu. I'm still not sure if it was a miscommunication with the waiter, but the menu item definitely had no mention of shrimp in my order. Nevertheless, the dish was tasty.

Overall Experience

Between the fun decor and okay food, I would say Bubor is a decent dinner venue. If I'm being honest, I probably wouldn't go back, because it didn't wow me. Another noteworthy point was that the communication between us and the waitstaff was extremely difficult. I think if you're paying to dine out everything should be made smooth and simple. That being said, it wasn't a bad experience. If you're in the area and craving Chinese, I wouldn't avoid Bubor. I just wouldn't go out of my way to dine there either.  

Bubor Cha Cha on Urbanspoon
SHARE:

2 comments:

  1. Me too, I liked the way they fold the napkins. It's just great when restaurants pay respect to costumers with little things like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! It gives the impression that they pay attention to all little details, both on the table and (hopefully) in the kitchen!

      Delete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig